At St Bede's we believe that outdoor play and learning is essential to children's health development and wellbeing. Our outdoor learning complements indoor learning and is equally important. Outdoor learning encompasses all that children do, see, hear or feel in their outdoor space. This includes the naturally occurring cyclical opportunities linked to the seasons, weather and nature.
Outdoor learning is important because:
- It supports the development of healthy and active lifestyles
- Offers children opportunities for physical activity; freedom and movement
- Promotes a sense of confidence and wellbeing
- Provides opportunities for developing harmonious relationships with others, through negotiations, taking turns and cooperation
- Support those children who learn best through activity or movement
- Provide safe and supervised opportunities for children to experiences new challenges
- Assess risk and develop the skills to manage difficult situations
- Supports children developing creativity and problem solving skills
- Provides rich opportunities for imagination,inventiveness and resourcefulness
- Gives children contact with the natural world and offers them unique experiences such a direct contact with the weather and seasons.